Pages

Monday, June 16, 2014

A Craft A Week: Week 20 - Sheer Curtain

I finally "finished" my sheer curtain for my ocean bathroom.  One of my next projects will be a curtain tie to pull it up so it doesn't look so long.  I didn't want to cut it shorter because when I tie it back it looks real cute with how long it is.

I was surprised with how easy this was!  This was my first curtain.
 
STEP ONE: Create a double-fold hem on all four sides.  I didn't measure, I eye-balled it.  First fold over the raw edge about a 1/2 inch, wrong sides together.  Then, fold it over again a 1/2 inch to encase that raw edge inside of the hem.  Pin in place.
 
STEP TWO: Sew a hem on all four sides.  Sew close to the fold about an 1/8 inch in.  Make sure to backstitch at the beginning and the end and pull out the pins as you go.  Don't break a needle!
STEP THREE:  Create a casing for the curtain rod at the top.  In the first picture I show, you can see the casing.  Just fold it over, wrong sides together, as big or as small as you want it.  I wanted mine rather large so I could see it in the window and so that I could eat up some of the length.  Again, I didn't measure.  Once you have it the size you want, pin in place and sew.  I sewed along the hem line I already had from the folded down top edge.  Remember to backstitch and pull out your pins as you go.
 
Not a great photo at all...
STEP FOUR: Insert the rod.  I purchased a tension rod from Amazon.com  I measured my window and found a cheap rod that was the right size.  Since it will be hidden within my curtain and behind my foam valence board I didn't need anything fancy.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M3WXM8/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
STEP FIVE: Hang!
STEP SIX: Stand back and be proud of your work!

Chase told me "Thank you" for making the curtain.  Maybe I wasn't the only one that felt weird about sitting on the pot and having people walk past the window behind you.

Now I just need that curtain tie.



No comments:

Post a Comment