Pages

Thursday, August 7, 2014

A Craft A Week: Week 27 - Framed Key Holder


I was perusing Pinterest about six weeks back and came across a pin of framed keys.  It made me think of how clever that would be to do in my kitchen where my husband and I throw down our keys on the counter and they always seem to be in the way.  It would be a pretty simple project, I just needed to find the right frame.

Here is the pin from Pinterest of my inspiration:
If you follow the Pin, it will take you to The Purple Carrot at purplecarrotkc.com and give you a tutorial: DIY Frame Key Holder (from February 2012).

About two weeks ago I dropped the older boys off at camp and went to Walmart with Reed to buy a few things.  I was walking past some frames and I saw the one shown in my photos.  I purchased it and brought it home.

That's when I finally read the tutorial.  Drill holes?  Um... no.  I had ideas of twisting up some of my heavy duty bead wire to make some decorative hooks, but I just envisioned them getting tugged and pulled on and soon stretched out.  Soon after that, I was walking around Michaels so Chase could buy some craft supplies and I saw the Command brand small clear wire hooks:

TA-DA!
I basically had everything I would need at this point.
That night I gathered my supplies:
  • The frame (minus the glass and back)
  • Command picture hanging strips (for the frame)
  • The Command hooks (for the keys)
  • and a glass of wine.
STEP ONE: Attach the Command picture hanging strips to the back of your frame.
STEP TWO: Attach the frame to your wall.
STEP THREE: Attach each of the Command hooks on the wall inside the frame.
STEP FOUR: Stand back, admire your work, and guzzle your delicious $3.99 wine.  Mmmmmm.  Delicious.

So that's it.  Pretty simple.  I guess you could thrift for an old frame and then bedazzle it all up, but I really liked this Walmart frame and I was in the mood for a simple project.

Hubby liked it right away and we've used it religiously ever since.  Now I just need to figure out the pile of mail that always seems to accumulate in this spot.

If you ever try it, send me your photos!  I'd love to see how creative you went with it.

Cheerio!
Jenni

1 comment:

  1. That is really pretty. I like your frame better then the pinterest frame. I am not handy with tools so this looks like something I could definitely do myself. Thank you for posting all your great ideas. Keep up the good work Lady.

    ReplyDelete